Saturday, January 13, 2007

 

Caer Crom

Today was a repair day. I painted my guest bathroom, and repaired the toilet. Exciting, eh? I painted the walls a flat tan, which matched the ceramic tile. As I was painting it occurred to me for the first time, do professional artists - specifically painters - fresco or mural the walls in their own homes? I have of course seen Monster House and thought that if I ever did that I would have them transform the interior of my house to look identical to an Irish pub in Belfast. Dark woods, tall tables and chairs, and perhaps a painted advertisement for Guinness or Murphy's on the wall. Hardwood floors, dim lighting and a long mahogany bar that I could sit at and eat shepherd's pie and hoist a jar while watching the news on the telly mounted high and over the bartender's area. Of course, it would have to have working spigots, and I would be able to draw off a pint whenever.

As it is, I am thinking of selling my house and I do not want to make any changes to it that I would miss. Hence, the flat paint instead of something more interesting. Now my next home, that will look significantly more like what I have described above.

Comments:
In my house in San Francisco, I painted the living room in four layers with a sponge--dark brown and tan over deep yellow, so that the walls appeared to glow like that Irish pub you're talking about. The trim I left the same ivory it was when I started, and added some birds taken from a Greek fresco, in a brick/maroon color. The reason I could sponge-paint the walls and have them turn out so well was that the house was so old, and had been re-painted and plastered so many times, that the sponging showed up the texture.

The bedroom I did sage green with a dark green vine climbing along the top and down the wall; the healing room was pale dusty rose. The kitchen I just stencilled with a few random decorative emblems and left alone.

The walls in my houses have to show off the art on them, not compete with it, you see.
 
I like the idea, though I would go without the bar and beer on tap. Too tempting for me. And instead I would have a similar atmosphere but with thickly stuffed oversized leather chairs and couches, some hardwood (dark of course) extra furnishings, and at least one room filled with bookcases. Then again, a working tap somewhere off to the side and private might not be so bad.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I for one like your ideas. If you ever get such done, take some pictures and post them. Maybe even through the process. Building is half of the joy to my mind.

Oh! Are you going to have one room set aside for cigars and pipes? I smoke both, but won't foul my general areas with the smoke so I do so outside given my current living arrangements. But a room, well vented and somewhat isolated, just for that purpose, would be great! There I would also keep some scotch, the tap, and a few other sippin's.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?